Friday, February 15, 2013

Is the future teacher a computer or a human? Conversation with my daughter #edcmooc

My daughter is a first year student at university and came home to visit after doing a day hike on the Appalachian Trial with her hiking club.

"What are you doing mom?"

"I'm on a twitter chat for the on-line class I'm taking.  We're discussing the question - Is the future teacher a computer or a human?"

"I think that would depend on what is being taught.  If you are want to learn outdoor skills, then it has to be a human.  Who else could teach about the wonder of nature, could show you how to rock climb, could calm you when you're scared?"

"I think you're right"

My daughter did take me indoor climbing for the first time a couple months ago.   I'm scared of heights and she got me to the top of wall by having me focus on the next step I had to take- not looking up or down.  She knew how to get me to trust her and how to move me past my fears.

Part of being a teacher, whether you use technology or not, is encouraging people to believe they can learn,  creating a relationship of respect and trust, sharing your enthusiasm about the topic, and helping people see both the big picture and the next steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment